100% Grassfed Beef
At Coulee Creek Ranch we are committed to providing delicious & nutritious food to our community. We aim to live lightly on the earth and integrate holistic agriculture practices into our operation. We further reduce our footprint on the land by partnering with horses to do most of the work on the ranch. This slower pace helps us tune into the health of our animals and the grasslands where they graze. We are a fourth generation family-owned and operated cattle ranch located in Lavina, Montana. We also raise free-range chickens, pastured pigs and sheep.
Stay in touch! Join our mailing list for monthly updates.
Healthy food for our community
Find us at the following farmers markets in Billings in summer 2021:
- Tuesdays 4:30 – 7pm at the Evergreen Farmers Market (Evergreen Ace)
- Thursdays 4:30 – 6:30 at the Healthy By Design Market (South Park)
- Saturdays 8am – 12pm at the Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market (across from This House of Books on N. Broadway)
Beginning in the summer of 2022, we’ll also have pastured pork and grassfed lamb for sale!
Our holistic agriculture practices
The prairie ecosystem responds positively to grazing pressure by large herbivores that fertilize and aerate the soil as they move across the landscape. We tap into these natural cycles by moving our herd across the landscape frequently. This creates the potential for healthy functioning grasslands that provide habitat for thousands of species of insects, birds, plants and fungi.
Healthy functioning soils are the foundation for this healthy habitat. Our grazing practices are designed to increase and maintain soil health by…
- boosting microbial activity
- encouraging root systems
- increasing water retention
- storing carbon
- promoting diverse communities of plants, fungi, and animals
Animals that graze on healthy grasslands with a diverse diet produce meat that is more nutritious (nutrient dense) and delicious. Holistic agriculture practices create better health for the ecosystem, which translates to better animal health and better human health.
In recognition of our stewardship practices, we received a Sustainability Certification from the Western Sustainability Exchange. This certification ensures that we:
- Treat animals humanely
- Eliminate hormones and sub-therapeutic antibiotics
- Significantly reduce or eliminate chemicals used in production practices
- Protect open space, wildlife habitat, and water and soil quality